Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Movie review - Enchanted April

"To those who appreciate Wisteria and Sunshine"

This is one of my favorite movies…if not the favorite.  I call Enchanted April a vacation in a DVD case.  I always feel uplifted and relaxed when I’m done watching it.  And why not, it’s like you are transported to a beautiful castle in Italy.

This is the story of two married ladies in England during winter.  There is rain and rain and more rain.  The rain seems to reflect their lives at this point as well as their marriages.  Lottie feels inexplicably drawn to an advertisement to rent a castle in Italy for the month of April.  She can’t get it out of her mind.  She talks Rose, a woman she has never met before, into joining her.  To defray the cost of the rent they advertise for two more ladies to join them.  They receive only two replies.  So the four ladies set off for Italy.  There they come to see themselves and their lives in a different way and find healing.

It is said that only the best stories have a theme of redemption within them.  I see a kind of redemption in this story and I think that is why I like it so much.  I don’t want to give too much away, but I do want to encourage you to watch it and tell me what you think.


No comments: