Friday, April 08, 2011

The Homeschool Mother's Journal - 12



In my life this week…
I’m frustrated because I’m still dealing with some health issues that are making me feel SO tired.   Which means the house is falling apart around me and school is not getting the amount of attention that I feel it needs.

In our homeschool this week…
Things are chugging along despite my fatigue.  I’m thankful for online classes that take the pressure off me and keep the kids working.  History is the big thing we are behind on.  What I will probably do is spend big chunks of time on history once the online classes are done at the end of May.  Looks like we will be schooling well into June this year.

Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
The girls are going on an orienteering weekend with the local Boy Scouts troop.   Yes, they are allowing girls to participate.  They are so excited to get the chance to camp and run around in the woods all weekend. 

I will be going to the Opera.  LOL!  How’s that for a contrast.  I’m going to see Juan Diego Florez in Le Comte Ory at the Metropolitan Opera!  I’m so excited.  This will be the third opera I’ve attended this season.  I’ve come to appreciate and enjoy opera more and more. 

What’s working/not working for us…
I still love Math U See and despite not feeling well and not getting everything done….we are getting math done and the girls really understand it.  Another thing working for us is Latin for Children.  This is a very well done and well laid out curriculum. 

Homeschool questions/thoughts I have…
I’ve been thinking about how I can order or train the affections in my girls.  I’m reading Abolition of Man by C. S. Lewis.  Such a little book with such depth!   Here are some quotes from Lewis on the subject of training our children’s affections:

“The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles but to irrigate deserts.  The right defense against false sentiments is to inculcate just sentiments.  By starving the sensibility of our pupils we only make them easier prey to the propagandist when he comes.  For famished nature will be avenged and a hard heart is no infallible protection against a hard heart.”

“St. Augustine defines virtue as ordo amoris, the ordinate condition of the affections in which every object is accorded that kind of degree of love which is appropriate to it.  Aristotle says that the aim of education is to make the pupil like and dislike what he ought.  When the age for reflective thought comes, the pupil who has been thus trained in ‘ordinate affections’ or ‘just sentiments’ will easily find the first principles in Ethics; but to the corrupt man they will never be visible at all and he can make no progress in that science.”

A photo, video, link, or quote to share…
For more on ordering our children’s affections check out Cindy’s blog, Ordo Amoris.  She has a lot to say about it and many practical ideas as well.

No comments: