In my life this week...
I have not been feeling well which means not much of anything has gotten done.
In our homeschool this week...
Since I haven’t been feeling well…we didn’t get much school done either. My kids got all their online class work done but everything they do with me didn’t get much attention.
My favorite thing this week was...
My fourth grader had to do a presentation about the sun for her co-op class. She’s never done a presentation before and required lots of help. I was resting and when I finally dragged myself into the schoolroom to give her a hand, there where my older two daughters helping her find interesting facts about the sun and printing out pictures for her display board. Love it!
What's working/not working for us...
It’s not working that I’m not feeling well. :P Besides that I have been happy with this school year so far and our curriculum. I THINK I’ve finally given up my perfectionistic attitudes about homeschooling and have learned to ride the ups and downs of each day. After 14 some years of homeschooling, I find that it is a constant “falling off the horse” and getting back on again. It doesn’t look like the cover of the Teaching Home….and if you know what the Teaching Home is then you have been around for quite a while. :) But it’s all of God’s grace…and sometimes I think that, no one is more familiar with God’s grace on a daily, hourly, minute by minute basis, than a homeschooling mom.
Homeschool questions/thoughts I have...
I have tried to follow the Classical Method of educating my children in our homeschool. It is a lofty goal and I fall far short. As I study Classical Education, I find that there are different understandings of it in the homeschool community. I see two camps. The first I call the Nouveau Classical Educators or what I also like to call the "drill them and kill them" crowd. Then there are those that seek to find the ancient definition of Classical Education which focuses on literature, dialogue, and the training of the appetites. This is the camp that I try to align myself with. The more I understand what true Classical Education is the more I see that Charlotte Mason was a true Classical Educator.
A photo, video, link, or quote to share...
“Christian Classical Education is the cultivation of wisdom and virtue by nourishing the soul on truth, goodness, and beauty by means of the seven liberal arts and the four sciences so that, in Christ, the student is enabled to better know, glorify, and enjoy God.” Andrew Kern of CiRCE Institute

6 comments:
Hi! I came over from The Homeschool Chick. I enjoyed reading your entry and I am sorry you have not been feeling well. It is so hard to get motivated to do anything when you are feeling bad.
I also enjoyed looking through your current favorite books and watch you are watching. I am going to check those on Netflix and see if they are available.
I love Jane Austin books and Stepping Heavenward also.
How sweet that your daughters help one another out and get along so well in a time of need.
We are entering our 3rd year of homeschool, and "Perfectionist" is no longer my middle name. LOL ;)
I hope you are feeling better! Following from THMJ.
Over from the Homeschool Chick also. I enjoyed hearing the story of your daughters helping their sister out!! THat is AWESOME!!!
Hope you are feeling better soon!
When you get a chance, check out our mayheim sometime.....www.krazykuehnerdays.com
Have a wonderful weekend
Renita
I definitely remember the cover of The Teaching Home. Didn't all those families look so together in their matching outfits? Did you ever hear the songsong that Rob and Cindy Shearer (Greenleaf Press) did, a lament that their family never made the cover of The Teaching Home? I wish I could find it somewhere.
Hi there - came over from homeschool chick! Love your blog background! Hope you feel better soon. So true confession time - do you listen to Rush during school time? He's on from noon to 3 pm in my area so I just get lunch time...
Hi Sara, I do listen to Rush during lunchtime but try to resist while we are doing school. I'm a member so I can listen to Rush at any time...I often listen later in the day while making dinner.
Sheri
Post a Comment